This time of year is all about over eating, indulgent food and mulled wine. So far there have been over 70 mince pies, 30 ginger-cookies, and at least 4 loads of roast-potato-trial-runs for Christmas day made in this house
…and its not like we’ve had a party of people to share them with. So something equally delicious but a little lighter was probably necessary for lunch! This is another great winter salad, we had it together with the Lemony Broccoli and Potato Salad for lunch yesterday.
2 raw beets
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp rapeseed oil (or olive oil)
a few sprigs of thyme
1 1/2 tsp honey
half a red onion
a handful of walnuts
a few sprigs of mint
200g raw spinach, washed
- Start by roasting the beets – peel and chop in to big chunks or slices. Put into a roasting tray and mix in 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, the oil, and the thyme sprigs. Cover with foil and roast in a pre-heated oven at 180c (375 f) for about 45 minutes.
- Slice the red onion thinly and mix with the remaining balsamic vinegar and the honey so its completely coated, and set aside.
- Toast the walnuts in the oven or in a frying pan for 5-7 minutes or until …toasted. Set aside.
- When the beets are tender remove them from the oven and let them sit for a few minutes.
- In a serving bowl mix the spinach with the onions and then add the beets on top with the walnuts. Finish with a few torn up mint leaves and seasoning.
Note: this is also delicious with goats cheese or feta.